Seniors in Motion Program
Trent Health in Motion is pleased to announce that we have received federal funding under the Government of Canada’s New Horizons for Seniors Program for our project Seniors in Motion.
This funding will be used to run a comprehensive 6-week exercise and health education program for seniors 55 years and older. This program will be will be held at Trent University, making use of the state-of-the-art facilities and staff which Trent Health in Motion has.
Our sessions will include the following:
- 1 Initial and 1 Discharge Functional Assessment with our Personal Trainer
- 4 Guided Group Exercises Sessions with our Personal Trainer
- 3 Guided Hydrotherapy Sessions in our heated therapy pool, with our Personal Trainer
- 1 Chair Yoga Session led by a Certified Yoga Teacher & Registered Physiotherapist
- 1 Nutrition Lunch & Learn with a Registered Dietitian
- 1 Falls Prevention Workshop with a Registered Occupational Therapist
Sessions will be 30-60 minutes twice per week from June to early August 2022. There are a limited number of openings, with space for 20 participants total, to make up two groups of 10 participants in each cohort.
People who are interested in participating must meet the following criteria:
- 55 years of age or older
- Must be mobile and able to move independently to attend and participate in each session
- Living independently
- Could benefit from an exercise and health education program
- Able to get transportation to Trent University
- Able to commit to the full 6-week program
During this program, we will be monitoring key health metrics, including functional movements such as walking, lifting, and squatting, as well as blood pressure, heart rate, blood oxygen level and quality of life questionnaires.
Participants’ functional abilities, endurance and self-assessment results after the 6 weeks are expected to improve when compared to the first week. We expect to not only see an improvement in seniors’ strength and endurance, but also their overall wellbeing and happiness!
If you, or someone you know, are interested in participating in this program, please click the button below to fill out a contact information form and we will be in touch with more information.